[AMPS] Alpha 91b Metering Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Alpha 91b Metering Question
From: tim.k9tm@totalink.net (Tim Mitchell)
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 17:19:58 -0400
I have a 91b and am observing the following:

I have the 91b driven by a FT1000D to a dummy-load.  To tune the amp, I put
the 1000D into CW mode.  I turn the keyer off.  Press the paddles and tune
the amp.  No problem so far.  It tunes up fine and indicates 1000 watts (on
the internal watt meter).  Next, I turn the keyer on and generate CW
characters and now the watt meter indicates close to 1400-1500 watts.  The
drive is about 60/65 watts.

I am suspicious of the 1000 watts indicated.  This seems too low for the
drive level.  The 1400-1500 is more believable.  Also, I can not seem to
drive the watt meter (builtin Alpha LED meter) beyond 1000w during cw
keydown.

I then put a Daiwa power/swr meter in line and it shows 1200w when the Alpha
shows 1000w during cw keydown.  I have no idea how accurate the Daiwa is.

I ran this past K8CC and his 91b does not act this way.  I called Alpha
and they claim to have no idea why it is doing this and say that they have
never heard or this.

Any ideas why the metering acts this way ?  Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks 73 Tim K9TM  tim.k9tm@totalink.net