[AMPS] Coils

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Coils
From: dcoolica@planet.eon.net (Denis)
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 08:55:11 -0500
Peter Chadwick wrote:

> Any suggestions for the best way to wind tank coils? material is 5mm
> diameter soft drawn copper tube, coil diameter 3-3/8 inches, 20 turns, 5-1/4
> inches long. I have a problem getting the tension enough to stop the tube
> moving on the former: admittedly, I haven't grooved the thin fibreglass
> former. How do you get the tension up enough to straighten the tube? I've
> tried making up a angle iron frame so that I can use a turnbuckle to tighten
> up the wound coil, but it's not as successful as I'd like.
>
> 73
>
> Peter G3RZP
>
> --

I have found that winding the coil on say a 3 inch diameter pipe or rod
and then transfering it to your 3 1/8 inch grove coil form works good.
For coil form I use a single piece of phenol or ABS plastic which I have
cut groves in on both sides spaced equally.  At each end you can mount a
small retaining bolt.

Good luck,

Denis VE6AQ