[AMPS] Vox efficient...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Vox efficient...
From: nospam4me@juno.com (Skip S Isaham)
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 19:53:37 EDT
[snip]
:Oh well......VOX I guess if fine if you are using it to rag chew and it
is set up properly.  :It's annoying though trying to talk to someone
where the first half syllable of every word :is missed.

Anyone with simple technical skills can properly set up a vox circuit to
"catch" that first syllable. I built a simple delay circuit which keys
the transmitter PTT slightly before the audio reaches the transceiver.
Two Amateurs using high speed vox can hold a conversation which
approaches the full duplex or QSK mode of CW. It sounds great and works
very well.

Lock to talk SSB operation with audio-idle key down times greater than a
few milli seconds are very poor practice and waste much useful power.
Often LIDs would break in to a 40 meter high-speed vox conversation using
lock to talk. The vox operators could and would hold a conversation
"inside their broadcast".

It's an excellent example of the wasted time using lock-to-talk.

cheers
skipp

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]