[AMPS] measuring meter shunt resistance

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] measuring meter shunt resistance
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 22:24:37 -0700
zeitler@ibm.net wrote:

> Is there a simple way to accurately measure the low resistance of a current
> meter shunt? I am trying to get my plate current and grid current meters
> calibrated and I need to verify the values of the shunt R but the Ip shunt
> is less than .3 ohms and the Ig shunt is less than 1.6 ohms. My Fluke 77BN
> is of no real help at these low values.

There are ways of doing it, but maybe you should consider a different method:
Put a 1 or 10 ohm resistor in series with the circuit.  Then use a multiplier
resistance to convert your milliammeter to a voltmeter and read the voltage drop
across the resistor:

         >           multiplier     |
         < 1 or 10 ohms             M

The multiplier is normally a relatively high value of resistance, so it's easier
to get it right.  The ARRL handbook discusses this method as well as the
traditional shunt.

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA