[AMPS] hipot testing

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] hipot testing
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 08:02:01 -0700

To: <amps@contesting.com>
>Date: 18 June 1999 09:22
>Subject: Re: [AMPS] hipot testing
>

>>>Is it an open transformer, Steve?
>>

>>It's probably what you mean by open. It's not encased in a
>>sealed box of any sort but it has a very generous dip
>>coating of varnish. It's from a good maker (Parmeko) so I
>>expect it was vacuum impregnated too.
>
>?    If the slightly-leaky transformer were mine, to drive
>out moisture,
>I would bake it in a 180 deg. F oven for a few days, and
>re-measure the
>leakage.  If the leakage decreased, I would hot-pot the
>transformer with
>fiberglass laminating resin.  (info on my Web site)
>>
>-  good luck, Steve
>Rich...
>

>I doubt if that's the sort of leakage problem it has,
>although I'll give it a try. It was used in PSU which
>another member of the contest group built and a flashover
>happened and the mains fuse blew. Inside I found that there
>was no ht current limiting and one leg of the bridge had
>gone short.

?  Not using a capable glitch R. in the pos. lead of an anode supply is a
standing invitation to grief.   Putting a suitable MOV across the primary
winding (to absorb potentially destructive spikes) is probably not a bad
idea.

> In the course of trying to get things working
>again I found that there is a leakage path from the
>secondary to the core which goes conductive at about 600V.

?  Center-tapped secondary transformers are not known for over-insulation
of the center-tap since it is typically grounded.

>I tried it with the ground connection lifted off the core and
>it worked ok. I spoke to a transformer winder who said there
>would be a carbon tracking path which would never go away.

?   Polyester-resin has pretty good insulating qualities, provided one
drives off the moisture in the paper before potting.

>Yesterday I got hipot working and measured the primary
>insulation to core, which prompted my question about leakage
>levels. I'd love to get it going again as the secondary
>resistance is only 18 ohms and the power just keeps coming.

? 18 ohms is rather good for the V and A involved.  .

-  cheers, Steve

Rich...