[AMPS] LK800-A Protection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] LK800-A Protection
From: k7sc@cybertrails.com (Jim Riff)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 08:08:30 -0700
John,

One of the mods that I have installed was an inrush protection. I
purchased the Ameritron ICP-240 protector (what a gyp at $80), and after
finding out that one must use the on/off switch on the protector to
control the linear - I took it apart. Inside was only a relay and a 20
ohm ww resistor. The protection was the closing time of the relay while
the 20 ohm resistor was in the line - a few ms at most, but I guess it
was better than nothing. I just took the components and installed them
in my linear and tossed the Ameritron case.

The ICP-240 was to have MOV's to act as spike protection, just like
their ad said, but there was none, only a couple of .01ufd caps. I
called Ameritron, my dime, and they said, "oh we took them out because
in Europe the line voltage is higher". Since I do not live in Europe I
loose out!

Speaking of protection, does the Amp Supply Co. LK800-A have grid drive
protection?