[AMPS] Obtuse questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Obtuse questions
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:07:55 EDT

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 13:54:01 -0700 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
writes:
>>2.   Know if Jennings ever made a 5-250 pF 10KV vacuum variable
>>physically shorter than 6" overall?
>
>  The shortest one in the catalog is 7.68".  The most space saving way
>to mount vacuum variables is vertically.  Multronics makes an ideal
>right-angle drive that replaces the orig. bushing at the end of the vac.

>variable's drive shaft.  //  Vert. mtg. solves shaft alignment probs,
>slightly reduces stray L, reduces stress on seals and eliminates the
>strain of gravity on the soft, oxygen-free copper plates.   .  .  and
>Jennings recommends vert. mtg.
>  good luck, Marv.

Hi Rich,
   I was planning to mount the cap vertically in an 8" hi case and motor
drive it, so I wasn't concerned with a shaft extension beyond the
existing bushing.  I did have a UCSL-500-5 (hi-pot checked @ 6KV) that I
was going to use when the plate voltage was only going to be 4KV but, now
that I am going to push the peak plate voltage to 6KV, I can't use that
cap...

  I'm not looking at the book, but I recall the part that was just a
skosh under 8"... which would  extend just a bit too close to the top of
the case for my sensiblities.  Maybe it is time to consider a taller
cabinet...

  Does that Multronics piece shorten the overall dimension after it
replaces the Jennings puller assembly?

73,
  Marv  WC6W

*