[AMPS] fine tuning amp pi-network

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] fine tuning amp pi-network
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 99 09:55:02 -0500
>Anyway, in optimizing the L for the output pi-net what are the recommended
>methods?

HI Lane,

Here's how I would do it:

First of all calculate the "ideal" (theoretical) tank component values
based on the tube's optimum load impedance and 50 Ohms and an appropriate
Q.  The load impedance (am I using the right term?) of the tube can be
calculated using : Vplate/(Iplate*1.6)  -> I believe 1.6 is the right
"fudge" factor.  Someone correct me if that's not right I forget the
exact number.

I would make up a tank coil based on those calculated inducatances.  Then
I would assemble everything into the amp.  With the tube in socket (not
powered mind you) I would connect a resistor of a value equal to the load
impedance calculated above from the anode to ground.

Then I would take my MFJ-259 attach it to the tank output and measure
away.  If tuned properly the tank will look like a "perfect" 50 Ohm
match.  Adjust caps and tank coil for optimum matching.

This is the way I would do it.  Others may have a better way.

GL es 73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na