[AMPS] go figure

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] go figure
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 16:22:10 -0400
> There is another major jump in components used as capacitors. HF
> amplifiers need a lot of C for blockers to handle 160 meters.

Most amps have way more than enough C for 160. The largest
problem is generally current rating on 30 MHz, not C on 160.

I remember visiting K8KAS and looking at his homebrew 3-500
amp for 160. He had 100 pF in the coupling cap from a 3-500Z, and
we laughed and teased him. When we replaced it with a 1000 pF,
nothing changed.

If you calculate the amount of C required to not disturb the anode
impedance, you be amazed how small it can be compared to what
everyone uses.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com