[AMPS] Re: Need info on mica caps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Need info on mica caps
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 11:55:50 -0400
> OK, enlighten me. What is the difference between 'mica' and 'ruby mica' as
> materials??

They are several minerals from the mica family.
Ruby mica is a mica that has much better loss tangent than pther
micas.

The worse micas I find listed are better than some of the best
ceramics, particulary as the test moves up to UHF.

Rich's statement that mica has reduced current handling above 3
MHz is not true, except with specific capacitors than have poor
internal layout. Some capacitors, but nowhere near all of them,
have too long a path along the conductors inside, and so the
current "bunches up" in small areas of the component. That's one
effect that reduces current rating as frequency is increased.

With a mica cap, check the factory rating. It would be unwise to
conclude they all handle reduced current above 3 MHz as Rich
suggested.

> 73
>
> Peter G3TZP
>

> --