[AMPS] Impedance of amplifiers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Impedance of amplifiers
From: johnf@futurenet.co.za (John Fielding)
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 16:29:16 +0200
I think essentially we are talking along the same lines Tom.  I said that the
output Z of
a tube amplifier is "highish" which implies several kohms.  From the
measurements we have
all seen when loading a tube amplfier the output power will increase as the
load
resistance is reduced up to a point when the output resistance of the tubes
becomes the
limiting factor - with the inductance and capacitance variation provided for in
the tank
circuit.

 Possibly making changes to the inductor and the capacitor in the tank circuit
may allow a little more power to be extracted, but this may be because the new
inductor
and capacitor have lower losses, and not due to a re-matching situation. One
cannot be
certain which is the case without a comparison of the two sets of componets.

Essentially the output power from a particular tube is limited in the first
order by the
emissive capabilities of that tube.  To suggest that a 4CXxxx could give more
the power
is a false assumption, as it cannot support any extra cathode emission for a
given plate
or screen voltage. That is limited by the physics of the cathode design.

Getting back to the 50% efficiency argument.  This came about from the
understanding of
the output power capabilities of signal generators, often the analagy is used
about the
internal resistance of a battery to draw a similarity.  In this case because we
need the
source to always look like a true 50 ohms it is common practice to use a power
amplifier
followed by a rather high value attenuator to give a 50 ohm output match.

In such a case the best the efficeincy can be is 50% because of the arguments
which have
been made before, so I won't waste bandwidth repeating them again.  It is a
common
mistake to think that signal generators and high power transmittiers are the
same, which
of course they are not.  Signal generators rarely are capable of more than
+20dBm output,
because of the attenuator in series with the output.  Usually this attenuator
needs to be
about 10dB to ensure a good output match, in the 10dB attenuator case the worst
the
output return loss can be is 20dB (VSWR = 1,2:1) which is still poor.
Laboratory grade
signal generators often have output return losses of  30dB or more, which is a
VSWR of
1,06:1

I fear that some of the amateur handbooks may have helped propagate this
misconception.
I don't know for sure if the ARRL Handbook uses this argument, but if it does
someone
ought to tell the publishers of the mistake.

John    ZS5JF

To: <amps@contesting.com>