[AMPS] 6146/TS830S HIGH POWER MOD

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 6146/TS830S HIGH POWER MOD
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 11:15:07 +0100
I don't know this mod. However, I have successfully run 6146Bs at 1200 volts
on the plate, with normal (200 volts) on the screen. This was done in a
HW101 with added zener regulated screen supply, and regulated bias supply,
and a fan. I got about 220 watts out for the same IMD (-31dB rel PEP), and
the life was OK. But you have to be very quick on the tune up. No good for
RTTY or SSTV on long overs with speech compression.

I'd figure the increased output isn't enough to be worth the trouble. Rich's
warnings on arc over possibilities are worth heeding.

73

Peter G3RZP