[AMPS] 4CX1500A in grid driven AB1 for Ham radio

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4CX1500A in grid driven AB1 for Ham radio
From: ulli@wxs.nl (Ulli Grunow)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:18:39 +0200
Hi guys from the Netherlands !
I have several used Eimac 4CX1500A which have run between 7000 and
15000h in a mediumwave commercial broadcast transmitter of the 100kW
class to drive the final watercooled final.

Now I like to use these 4CX1500A in a single tube grid driven linear amp
for Ham radio. I have the original data sheet from Eimac and already a
lot of theory information (as well as the very good suggestions from
AG6K's webpage)

What really is missing are some ham's who really have practical
experience with the 4CX1500A. Obviously this tube is totally different
than the famous 4CX1500B (Bravo).
However (probably because of the price ?!) I have never found anyone in
EU, who has some practical experience with 4CX1500A (Alpha)

for example:
* the data sheet shows 1A at 5kV as maximum rating. How high is the peak
current when the grid is driven to almost 0V just before grid current is
starting to flow ?!
* what will be the approx. power output in amateur radio service ? Can I
expect more output than Eimac datasheet, if considering (speech
processed) SSB or CW for contest operation ???
* are there any other suggestions for such a project to use this or very
similar power tetrodes ???
* any suggestions to minimise the fan noise (without minimise the
airflow itself... hihihi)

Greetings - any suggestion is welcome.

I have many things of the amplifier already constructed and would like
to exchange the knowledge with someone in similar project or even with
much more experience than me...

Ulli - PA5AT / DF8MQ
Member of PI4COM contest crew