[AMPS] Power ratings... was: Sweep tube amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Power ratings... was: Sweep tube amp
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:28:04 EDT

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:06:04 -0400 "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
writes:

>Around 1980 or so, linear amplifier ratings all changed from dc
>input power to peak output power.

Hi Tom,
   I think that was to conform to the evolving FCC regulations that
metamorphosized in a couple of steps, from the traditional 1KW DC input
power to the final, to the current 1.5KW PEP output.

  Read the regulations carefully and it seems that CW ops got about a 3
dB boost but, SSB mode operators (and AM'ers; all 7 of them remaining...)
actually lost!!!

   I wonder if that was the true intent... or just another curious side
effect of government regulations.

 Also, under this scheme, there is little incentive to design efficient
power amplifiers.  Sigh...

73,
   Marv  WC6W

*