[AMPS] equalizing resistors/caps on small HV power supply??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] equalizing resistors/caps on small HV power supply??
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:26:01 -0700

>Could someone please enlarge on the procedure of matching diodes, using
>simple multimeters, etc.?

You must have a means of measuring avalanche voltage at c. 2uA.  In other
words, yu need a high-pot tester.  .  Diodes are typically  graded into
drawers marked >800v, >900v, >1000v, >1100v, on and on.  Diodes from the
same drawer are used to make a string.
-  notes:  I would discard any diode that has more than 1300 piv, shows
an erratic piv, or exhibits an erratic forward voltage drop at full rated
current.

-  later, Ian

>> Frank uses no equalization. He personally sits there and matches
>> each diode in the string before he personally  assembles and
>> pots each unit. I have several of his units; one  bridge of which
>> delivers 6 kv @ 2 amps, and has lasted me 16 years so far!
>>

>> (((73)))
>> Phil, K5PC
>>

>--