[AMPS] In diodes we trust

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] In diodes we trust
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 08:32:43 -0400
Hi Peter,

By the way, I pulled the WEB page up and looked at the national
standards for measuring RF power and like the e-mail said, it rules
out using a scope.

Now it took about 2 weeks and a hundred posts to sort through all
the allegations and nonsense just to find out what anyone who is
involved in measurements already knows, no one uses a scope
except when they can't use anything else.

During FDA measurements here of pulsed medical RF devices, I
had to use a calibrated Bird 4391 meter.

Now let's see if we can sort through the rectifier thing in an equally
professional manner.

> >After that time, all the diodes will return to their blocking state
> >and will share the reverse voltage...

It appears Peter and I have the same question. What mechanism
is it that causes this "shared reverse voltage"? My concern is
some of the statements made in the Motorola Rectifier and Diode
Handbook that seem to conflict with the idea the diodes won't
suffer increased failure if voltage doesn't happen to divide equally.

So maybe someone can explain, hopefully in a nice sane way, why
the voltage divides equally.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com