[AMPS] In Diodes We Trust...?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] In Diodes We Trust...?
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 05:18:45 -0400
> >?  We pay way more than 4.3 cents for 1N5408s.  We do Not buy the
> >cheapest stuff.
>
> In semiconductors, you might not get what you pay for, but you certainly
> don't get that which you don't pay for! Over the years, I've seen
> production lines badly bit because buyers bought the cheapest
> semiconductor with the type number on, rather than the one engineering
> asked for.
>
> Regrettably, second sources frequently aren't, especially when they're a
> lot cheaper.
>
> A company's reputation can be lost for one or two cents a part - is it
> worth it?
>
> 73
>
> Peter G3RZP

The implication he pays a lot to buy better parts than parts
available at the price I quoted is just a marketing game. "I (claim I)
pay more so it must be better."

The price of electronic components varies quite a bit depending on
how many parts you buy and who you buy them from.

For example, first line door knobs from ITT Jennings had five times
the failure rate of components costing 35% less from High Energy
Corp.

No one in their right mind who a decent quantity and top quality
part, and who knows how to source parts would pay more than 5-6
cents each wholesale, even without beating the manufacturer up.

There is a big difference between wholesale and retail. The only
way we'd know if the diodes were first line stuff is if we learned who
the "high quality source" really was, and knew some history about
how they lasted.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com