[AMPS] Input pi-net

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Input pi-net
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:22:33 -0500
Hi Werner,

Unfortunately, the tuning must be made at full power.
After a friend of mine was killed adjusting the input coils
on a 4-1000A project, I quit using  the pi input method.

I now use a "T" match on the input. This idea was "stolen" from
Creative  Electronics. I simply install an MFJ antenna tuner ($59.95)
near the tubes. For two 8877's, I use a 2:1 unun transformer between
the tuner and the cathodes like Alpha did on their 77SX. This allows
a perfect  1:1 input VSWR on ANY frequency between 1`.8 and 30 mhz
and works every time! If you want to duplicate the MFJ circuit, all
you
need are a couple of small variable caps (200-300 pf) and a multi
tapped
coil/switch. By the time you add up the cost of all the components for
tuned input, the $59.95 for the MFJ is probably about the same, and
you
have the safety of not having to tweak an amp running full power with
the
cover removed.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC

>I designed a switchble input pi-net for my 'two-holer' (a pair of
8877's). The
>calculated Z  is aprox. 23 ohms. The circuit is located close to both
input
>blocking caps and tubes. I tested this circuit with both tubes
connected to
>the sockets and a 23 ohms resistor cross to both blocking caps. I
tuned this
>pi-net for all bands. As source generator I used the MFJ Antenna
Analyser 259.
>All settings was nearly SWR 1:1 and I was satified. Later, under real
power
>conditions all values are away up to 2:1 and higher. I know my first
test was
>made under static circumstance and in the real world it works under
dynamic
>conditions. But I do have no chance to tune the network under
operation
>conditions (no possibilities).
>Is there to go another way to fix it right under 'could conditions'?
Otherwise