[AMPS] Switching padders in for 160 meter ops

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Switching padders in for 160 meter ops
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 08:33:52 -0400
> Is there a preferred method for switching in padder caps in parallel with
> the plate tuning cap to get the total C for 160 meters? I have seen
> designers do the switching at the top of the padder where it connects to
> the tune cap and I have seen it done on the opposite side of the padder
> where it goes to ground leaving the other side always connected to the
> tune C.

Look at your switch Lane.

If you put the padder on the ground side of the switch, the rotor of
the switch has full voltage to ground on at least one band or maybe
all bands. In general, rotor to frame breakdown is the lowest voltage
breakdown of a switch.

Because of that, putting the padder on the tank and connecting the
"cold" side of the padder to a well isolated lug with an isolated rotor
that ties two contacts together is the preferred way.  Be sure the
shorting bar on the rotor rolls away from the the lead on the padder.

Making a small mistake in contact layout, contact type, or wiring
can decrease switch reliability many fold.

73 Tom
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com