[AMPS] SB-220 input circuit

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 input circuit
From: realex@flash.net (bob alexander)
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 06:09:45 -0500
Pete Smith wrote:
> >Replace C-32.
> /// snip//
> The coupling capacitor from the input circuit to the cathodes?  Well, it
> sure would be easier than dismantling the input circuit.  Have you
> personally seen this particular failure?
>
> 73, Pete Smith N4ZR
> n4zr@contesting.com
-----------
Hi Pete,
I have seen it 3 or 4 times.  The first time was in 1977 shortly after I
started work as the ham radio tech at the Heathkit store here in Dallas.
The amp was a "warrenty" return and I spent entirely too much time
trying to find the problem...Benton Harbor was no help.  I finally
mentioned it on one of the local repeaters and someone broke in and told
me exactly which part to replace.  The owner got his amp back the next
morning and I sent a note to Benton Harbor about it...dont know if it
ever got published as a "tech note"as I was not at Heathkit very long
before going to IcomEast.
Since then, I've seen it in 2 or 3 other amps including the one Ive been
using for the last 20 years. I hope the cap is the problem in your amp
as its a 15 minute job to replace it and several hours to get to the
input circuitry.
73, Bob, W5AH