[AMPS] repaired Ultra problem...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] repaired Ultra problem...
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 08:32:31 -1000
It was wondered:

> so...  what was the problem with the ultra..?   and what was the fix..?

Problem: No output on 10 or 15 meters;   no grid current,  no
plate voltage drop,  nothing.

Possible causes,  per Paul at Henry:  A relay switches in different
input matching ferrite core transformer for frequencies above
21 MHz.  Ferrite may be from a bad batch mix;  return unit
immediately,  if this is the case he must know now,  as several
units are now in production and  have several transformers in
stock from same ferrite source.  Or,  relay is bad,  or wiring to it.

Solution:  Nothing wrong with transformer,  but relay would
not switch for Paul.  Closer look -- coil wire is open!  Bad
brand new relay.  It happens sometimes with new components,
look good at incoming inspection,  something comes loose
in handling after final test,  shipping to Kauai,  who knows.

Simple problem and fix.  Paul requested unit back to
plant,  that I not open the RF deck case for a look,  so
I didn't, no plan to void their warranty by opening,   hi.

No charge to me,  all in-warranty repair effort/shipping by
Henry.  Great folks.

73,  Jim,  KH7M