[AMPS] Have Cake & Eat it too

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Have Cake & Eat it too
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:35:54 -0500
Jonathan Kaplan wrote:

>In conclusion, it would seem that all of you are telling me that adjusting
>the Amp
>is only for proper loading and thus Maximum output, NOT for SWR! Is that
>correct?

Yes.  Adjusting the load control on the amp effectively tunes the tank of
the amp to somewhat match the impedance seen on the transmission line.
However, in terms of an SWR meter and a 50 Ohm system, this changing the
load doesn't do a thing.  SWR meters measure power reflected AFTER them.
So unless you have something after the SWR meter to adjust the tuning it
should stay fixed for a given frequency.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden