[AMPS] handles for cheap...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] handles for cheap...
From: irosky@yahoo.com (igor rosky)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 01:54:46 -0700 (PDT)

Has anyone looked at the new price for a Eimac tube
like that 3cx1200z7,, last time i looked it was 700 US
dollars. Considering that one can buy new Svetlana,
Taylor 8170 and 8171s for between 1000 and 1200
dollars i think they a bargain even new. The ability
to have these tubes rebuilt and the fantastic warranty
make them a bargain. No ham radio style tube has a
warranty equivalent to the handle variety. Dollars per
watt they unbeatable. Although if you take the
analysis to the finest degree, the cost of the larger
higher voltage components may make these tubes more
expensive. But then again if you want to get the
1200z7 really fired up, 4000 volts seems about right,
the cost difference might be miniscule. A 8171 running
at 5000 volts is fantastic, so the real difference in
cost could be minor at these voltages rather than the
full fire bottle status of 9kv no load.

Igor