[AMPS] AL-80B vs. AL-572

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-80B vs. AL-572
From: stavros@vt.edu (Stavros Tsiakkouris)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:33:55 -0400
Our club station is interested in buying an amplifier that will work with
120VAC and produce about 1kW of PEP output power.

The choice at this time seems to be between the Ameritron AL-80B and the
AL-572. The AL-80B uses a single Amperex 3-500ZG tube for 1kW while the
AL-572 uses 4 Sveltana 572B tubes for 1.3kW output.

I'd appreciate any opinions as to which amplifier will be more suitable for
a college club station environment + any comment on the performance of these
two amps.

73s
Stavros Tsiakkouris
5B4AFM