[AMPS] Dentron Clipperton L Conservative Loading?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Dentron Clipperton L Conservative Loading?
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 21:50:49 -0700

>I am new to the AMPS group and, in fact, new to amplifiers since my last amp
>was a Heathkit HA-14 25+ years ago!
>
>I have a newly acquired Clipperton L which I need some information on. My
>questions are:
>
>1. Since I intend to run this amp on SSB very conservatively to prolong
>component life ( and my pocketbook), should I run it in the CW (low power)
>position (approx 1500V @ 670 Ma) or in the SSB (high power) position (approx
>2500V @ 400Ma)?
>
>2. Are there any drawbacks to conservative operation of this amp (other than
>the obvious foregoing of 1-2 db)?

?  The tank is designed for the tube output Z produced by 800mA of anode
I.  (roughly 1.6k).  // note: On SSB during voice transmission 800mA of
anode/plate I is equivalent to a meter indication of about 300mA.

>3. What modifications are cost effective for this amp?

? Adding a grounded shield plate between the input bandswitch wafer and
the output bandswitch wafer. /  High speed switching.  /  Some people
have added better suppressors, esp. when retubing with new higher-gain
tubes.  /  A new set of filter caps and equalizer resistors.

good luck.