[AMPS] Conjugate matching and amplifiers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Conjugate matching and amplifiers
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 00:18:20 +0100
Jon Ogden wrote:
>Nope, not picking on me!  It's a good discussion!
>
>First of all, I do agree with your statement.  In reality your right, we
>match the tube for our desired power output.  But is "desired" power
>output really the most efficient or is it the maximum available power
>output?

Not necessarily either of the above. For example we often load more
heavily than the position for maximum power output/efficiency in order
to improve the IMD performance. And there isn't even a single load
impedance for "improved IMD" - at any drive level, the levels of the
various IMD products will go up *or down* depending on the loading.

So there isn't any single load impedance that can truly be described as
"optimum", because the needs and priorities may change according to the
application.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek