[AMPS] Spurii (again)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Spurii (again)
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 07:32:48 -0700

>Does anyone have any experience with parasitic suppression techniques for
>valve amplifiers at 70MHz. Note this is not anything to do with HF
>amplifiers etc. The HF methods of supressing VHF parasitics will not work at
>VHF for obvious reasons. This the other way round, how to supress Audio,  HF
>and UHF parasitics at VHF.

70MHz is clearly beyond the realm of coil/resistor suppressors.  For
stable operation at 70MHz with a tube type amplifier, the Tune-C should
be fairly close to the anode.  Based on my experiences, I would use
semi-resistive conductors between the anode and the Tune-C.  However,
beyond the Tune-C, high Q conductors are clearly the only game in town.
//  In an 8169 amplifier, I seemed to have ok stability by using 4-mil
Ni-Cr-Fe shimstock, cut into a strip about 25mm/1" wide, for all of the
conductors between the anode and the Tune-C.  //  notes:  this alloy has
about 1/40 the conductivity of copper.  / The ideal width for such
conductors is whatever will produce a modicum of heating with the
hammer-down.  . Mo' efficiency is not always mo' betta.   .  Better to
dissipate a few extra watts at the fundamental than to raise the Q of the
anode-resonance and risk venturing into the land of parasites.

cheers, Mike