R: [AMPS] You gotta read this....

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: R: [AMPS] You gotta read this....
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 15:54:02 -0400
At 12:04 PM 10/14/1999 PDT, Jeff Wolf wrote:

>You are VERY good at reading things that aren't their.  When the Popular
>Communications article came out last month on Bigradios.com (September,
>1999, front page article, "CB Superpower Badboys, or organized chaos)
>"aired", I had to field the same arguments from people who knew not what
>they where talking about.
>
>You would fall into that category on this subject.  You may know GREAT
>design for RF, and you may be able to build a large amplifier, but you know
>NOTHING about the "Controlled Destruction" that the average 11 meter US
>operator subjects his equipment to.

Mauri, I think where you went "astray" was in supposing that they were
actually trying to use these devices for communication.  These amplifiers
and their ratings have about as much in common with communications as
LOX-injected barbecue grills have with cooking.

With respect, if what we've seen on the website is any indication, the
"superpower badboys" are about as far from the *average* US 11-meter
operator as it's possible to be.  To the extent that some CBers are using
this stuff at home, I hope the FCC starts knocking on some doors, quickly.

I don't think there is any serious dispute that if linearity is unimportant
and an amplifier need only sustain key-down conditions for a few seconds,
then lots of things are possible.  It looks to me as if the major technical
challenge these guys face is designing portable motor-driven power sources
that can supply enough juice for even a short time.

73,  Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower