[AMPS] Mica caps/RF current

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Mica caps/RF current
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 12:32:45 EDT
On Sun, 24 Oct 1999 22:11:24 -0400 "Phil T. (VA3UX)" <phil@vaxxine.com>
writes:

>Without knowing what manufacturer and their designation, I can't answer
the
>questions specifcally.  But,  I do have a recent CDE catalog and the RF
>current ratings for some of the small radial leaded micas is
surprisingly
>high....but not in all cases.  Here's some info for comparison :
>
>The RF current rating changes with the Series of product, and the
different
>Series appears to denote different physical sizes and voltage ratings.
>Current rating goes up with size, voltage rating and frequency.
>
>For example, a 220 pf cap in the CD15 Series (500VDC or 300 VAC) will
>handle 0.6 amps continuously at 5 Mhz. These measure 0.46" L x 0.38"
>high.
>
>A 220 pf cap in the CDV19 Series (1000 VDC or 350 VAC) will handle 1.4
amps
>continuously @ 5 Mhz. These are 0.64"L x 0.50"H.
>
>A 220 pf cap in the CDV30 Series (1500 VDC or 400 VAC) will handle 2.8
amps
>cont. @ 5 Mhz. A 2200 pf cap in this same series will handle 5.5 amps.
>This series of caps measure 0.77"L x 0.88"H, and are 0.25" thick.
>
>The quarter inch caps Vic mentioned compare (size wise) to the UHF caps
in
>the CDE catalog. No RF current rating is given for these, which implies
>that caps this size weren't intended to handle much current on a
continuous
>basis.  But they may survive anyway since the intended duty cycle is
>considerably less than "continuous", and they will probably be in moving
>air to keep the temp down.

Vic, Phil & Phil
    I too have the CDE catalog but, I also have an ARCO catalog which
shows a table of capacitance and frequency versus current capability but,
additionally discloses a maximum current constraint based on size (and
construction).

Designator Arco / Mil   current package length & lead spacing
for field I.D.

        DM05            .15A    .27" long   -- .12 lead spacing
        DM10 / CM04     .2A     .360 long  -- .14 lead spacing
        DM15 / CM05     .3A     .450 long       -- .230 lead
spacing
        DM19 / CM06     3.0A    .640 long  -- .340 lead spacing
        DM20            3.0A    .750 long       --  .430 lead
spacing
        DM30 / CM07     4.5A    .770 long --  .430 lead spacing

   Note: the lengths of these parts grow a bit at the top end of the
supplied values

   I think that the bottom line here is to use CM06's or better for
"real" input networks though, If only CM05's (the "standard" small mica)
are handy, paralleling a two or more smaller values to increase the
overall current capability is a valid strategy.

   As always, should radio amateurs (and/or defunct kit companies)
disregard the manufacturers specifications, we will disavow any knowledge
of your actions...  :-)

73,
   Marv  WC6W

*