[AMPS] Cabinet Refinishing

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cabinet Refinishing
From: michon@eatel.net (Mike Michon)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:41:50 -0700
Hello Skipp,

I haven't refinished a Dentron Cabinet, but I rebuild/refinish Dental and
Medical Equipment. I use a PPG product DP401 Primer. It is a 2 part Epoxy
primer that will take lacquer or acrylic enamel over it.  It isn't cheap,
about $40.00 for the 2 Cans (about a quart).  It is the best primer I have
found.  Comes LF now (lead free), and in 2 kinds, mix and use or mix and
wait 30 minutes for . I like the latter.

If you have pits etc, several coats and sanding will give a nice base to
whatever you decide to use. Comes in a dark green for darker overcoats and a
grey for lighter overcoats.  Follow directions and use a respirator as it
contains some serious chemicals.

An automotive arylic enamel paint with a hardener makes a good top coat, and
is very durable.  The paint place can match anything you bring them a sample
of.  This isn'cheap either, about $30.00 per quart.

Any automotive paint place will have this stuff, and if you don't have a
compressor and paint gun, they sell little glass bottles with compressed air
can on bottle for small jobs at about $5.00 each.

Have Fun,

Mike-- AB5XP