[AMPS] feedback sought: Ameritron AL-80

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] feedback sought: Ameritron AL-80
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 22:27:41 -0700

>Your mileage may vary, but from my own experience:
>
>I have owned all three: AL-80, SB1000, and AL80B. They all showed >850
>watts carrier into non-radiating (HA!) loads when measured with Bird 43 and
>2500H slug. They worked very well and, in my not so humble opinion, were
>great bangs for the bux. .....

Obtaining such power from a single 3-500Z at this anode supply voltage
requires driving the tube to more than its Eimac and Amperex rating
of400mA max..  The result is increased splatter in SSB service.  The
designer of this amplifier (Mr. Tom Rauch) claimed that he had a letter
from Eimac that increased the anode current rating to more than 500mA.
He never produced the letter.
-  cheers