[AMPS] Alpha 86 help

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Alpha 86 help
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 23:57:13 -0700

>Looking for some suggestions on what to check before I send my Alpha 86 to
>Colorado for repairs.  It's been reliable workhorse since around 1990.

I would high-pot. the tubes first. Why ship the whole thing to Colorado
when the problem is just a tube?.   The test potential should be 2x the
plate/anode supply volts, or about 5kV.  Normal cold leakage is approx.
5uA at 5kV.  //  If you don't have access to a high-pot. tester, I will
be delighted to test 'em for free and ship them back to you the same day
via Priority Mail (maybe) 2nd Day delivery.  // I have been trying to
test a pair of 3cx800A7s from a kaput Alpha 86/87 for years, and so far
no luck.

>In CQWW SSB it was being used as the run station on 10m SSB (28.7 or so,
>but SWR is fine) when smoke started to pour out of the top (through the
>blower exhaust holes above the finals).  It was quickly turned off - the
>protection circuits didn't kick in.   Inspection showed only one obvious
>problem inside.  The plate choke had overheated - and near the middle of
>the choke it looks like the winding got very hot and the core material
>(plastic of some kind) smoked.   A particularly pungent smell...

Heating of a narrow band of wires in a hv rf choke is indicative of the
presence of a frequency that is above the normal operating range.  Henry
3K-A HV chokes are notorious for this one.  There is a natural resonance
in the Henry choke around 95MHz and when the phase of the moon is right
and its a contest night, downtown Smokeville. .  .

>So, I ordered a replacement plate choke the next day which arrived a few
>days ago.  Tonight I replaced the bad choke with the new one and turned the
>amplifier on.   After warmup, I fed it a 25w from my FT1000mp and things
>seemed just fine.  Increasing the power slowly it went past 600w output and
>then blew the two 20a 250v fuses.   The protection circuits didn't kick in.
>
>So... I'm looking for some suggestions on what I might be able to check
>out.

Using a dipmeter,  record the resonances in the choke between 40MHz and
160MHz.   measure the lowest resonance in the anode's vhf-resonant
circuit.  If you find a match, there may have been an intermittent osc.
that caused the choke to smoke.

> Obviously I don't want to ship it to Colorado

Amen to that, Tom