[AMPS] 2 tone intermod test

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 2 tone intermod test
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:03:36 -0500
At 01:35 AM 11/24/1999 -0700, measures wrote:
>>The TS830 seems good
>>(until the driver fades) while my FT990 is horrible. As soon
>>as the ALC comes into play, there is a leading edge spike of
>>typically double the set power for a few ms before the level
>>settles to nominal.
>
>- which indicates that the mic. gain is set too high.  On a solid state
>radio, ALC indicates that overshoot is taking place.  Less ALC is better
>than more ALC.  I run my ts440 where the ALC barely flickers.  I know
>that a midrange ALC indication means more feculence.  If folks monitored
>peak RF output voltage with an oscilloscope they would be better off.
>When using an amplifier that does not use a regulated anode supply, more
>mic. gain always means less PEP.

since ALC indication is relative,not absolute, what works on a TS-440 may
not work on other radios.  For example, I find my TS-930 is very clean up
to an indicated ALC level of +15 db (whatever that means) but starts to get
dirtier fast as I approach +20 (the top of the range indicated as OK).

73,  Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower