[AMPS] Mica Capacitor

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Mica Capacitor
From: dcoolica@planet.eon.net (Denis)
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 13:07:45 -0600
Werner S. Zielke wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> does any one know about the data's (rf current handling) of the Mica
> Capacitor:
>
> CORNELL DUBILIER, TYPE 9H
> .0004 MFD (400pF),
> WKDV 2500VDC
> TEST 5000VDC
>
> I'm interested how many rf current it can carry. I used four of it in
> parallel with a vary cap together as C2 in the final pi-net of my  75m
> amp using four of  4-1000. Two times one of these caps failures (rf
> power shorts to ground). May be this capacitor is not suitable for  rf
> current? Any comments?
>
> 73, Werner DJ2HZ/VE7HBI
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/ampsfaq.html

Werner, I have suffered similiar failures of other Mica's. What I do now
with my coupling capacitors is test them.

I use 500 watts out from an AMP, series couple it through the coupling
capacitor under test and terminal it in a 50 ohm dummy load. I apply
power and test the temperature of the coupling capacitor after 5 or 10
minutes or evne longer.  If it is hot it is having trouble handling 3.3
amps RF.

If you want to use it in a bigger amp. apply 1000 watts as your test
signal and you will be testing the coupling capacitor at 4-5 amps.

You don't want these Mica's blowing during the contest! It scares even
the sleeping!

Regards

Denis VE6AQ