[AMPS] MRF150

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] MRF150
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 18:17:46 -0600
For those of you that are interested in a legal limit
S.S. amp using 28v bipolar devices, I have a power
supply that is surplus to my needs that will do the job.

It is a Collins regulated supply; 28 volts regulated @
100 amps continuous/150 amps peak. It is VERY
rugged; was built to mount in a Humvee. Runs on
220-240 v 60hz single phase. I want $200 for it; about
$1 per pound!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC

>The EB104 kit is a design by a gentleman named Helge Grandberg of Motorola. He
>is
a sort of
> god for solid state amp designers. As far as solid state amps go, it is as
> good a
performer as you will find.

> Some advice:
> Move lots of air over these devices.
> Use a thick (3/8") copper heat spreader.
> Use a big heat sink.
> Build VSWR protection and overdrive protection in.
> To cover the HF bands you will need 6 lowpass filters.
>
> You may get close to half as rugged as your tube.
>
> CC's splitters and combiners work FB.
>
> To get a gallon out you will not need much drive with 8 MRF 150's in the EB104
configuration (2 modules,
> 4 MOSFETS apiece) , about 15 watts.
>
> You will, however need 2.15 KW DC input at 50V, about 45Amps for good
> measure;)
This is not easy to find.

> In short, I believe that this project is a more difficult undertaking then
> most
single device GG tube amplifiers. Even
> with the EB104 supplies from CC, this is not a kit project. Of course it is a
little less dangerous then building
> a tube amplifier. You will wind a boatload more torroids, need more control
> and
protection circuitry and have some
> difficult layout problems to solve.
>
> I run MRF150's for a gallon here and am working on the design for another
amplifier using higher voltage MOSFETS,