[AMPS] AL-1500 problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-1500 problem
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 18:28:57 -0600
>Hi,
>
> I have an AL-1500, no longer under warranty, with the built in QSK
> board.  Over the weekend it developed a problem:  received signals
> are markedly attenuated when the amplifier is off or in the standby
> position.  If the amp is up and running everything works fine, but
> as soon as I flip the switch from operate to standby, or shut the
> amp off, the receiver is nearly dead.  This affects all bands.  The
> swr seen by the transceiver goes sky high once the amp is put in
> standby or shut off, also, although it is fine when the amp is running.
>
> Any suggestions from others who've experienced this?
>
> Thanks & 73,  Arliss

When the power to the QSK board is turned off; relays RLY and
RLY 1 are un-powered and the contacts of RLY 1  provide a path from the
transceiver to the amp input. If the amp is also turned off, the T-R
relay in the amp provides a bypass path through the amp to  the
amp out jack and through the contacts of RLY to the antenna.
Obviously, you have a break in the path between the "XCVR OUT"
Terminal and the "ANTENNA" terminal on the QSK board. IOW,
RLY, RLY 1. or the T-R relay in the amp have a bad contact in the
un-powered position. An ohmmeter check with all power off should
tell you which one is bad.

GL!
Phil, K5PC