[AMPS] Excessive Grid Current

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Excessive Grid Current
From: mike@g0mjw.freeserve.co.uk (G0MJW)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 08:22:27 -0000
> If I go ahead and increase drive to maximum of 100 watts as per
instructions
> then output increases to 700 to 900 watts - but - grid current rises to as
> much as 500 ma with plate current at 600 to 700 ma.

You can tell it is not an AL80A as that can't measure more than 300mA.

> No load voltage is 2700 - under full load it drops to 2200 or so.

No. Wrong. It should be around 3000 on load for a 3-500Z. You won't get high
output at reasonable grid current with 2200V EHT. Check the mains voltage is
OK.  Check the amplifier design is correct. Maybe they meant 1kW input ?

Mike