[AMPS] Tuning a Pi-L tank circuit

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Tuning a Pi-L tank circuit
From: gm3woj@talk21.com (Chris Tran GM3WOJ)
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 22:42:57 -0000
Hello all

I'm constructing a new HF amp. which has 2 roller-coaster coils
and 2 vacuum variables in a Pi-L configuration - in other words
4 things to adjust every time I change band !
I could have used a band-switch and tapped coils, but
happened to have these (heavy-duty) variable components available,
with turns-counting dials on each.

I've suddenly realised that I won't know how to tune this new amp. up,
once it's completed.

Help !

I've read about 'image impedance', 'loaded Q' etc. but really need
some suggestions about tune-up procedures.    I'm guessing that
I'll have to 'pre-set' the 'L' network maybe, but really not sure where
to start.  (Tetrode - plate load R = 1900 ohms approx.)

73 - Merry Xmas !

Chris  GM3WOJ/GM7V
gm3woj@talk21.com