RE;[AMPS]Measures Parasitic Suppresors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE;[AMPS]Measures Parasitic Suppresors
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 10:00:15 -0700

>I am surprised that the Ten Tec engineers rejected the suppresors because
>they ran hot.

Indeed.  I guess they skipped a paragraph in my article.

> They should have realized that this was caused by the
>inductance of the suppresors being resonated to a frequency close to 10
>Meters by circuit capacity.

The suppressors are not resonant close to ten meters.  .

>Removing one turn should have made a difference.

It would have.

> It would have likely made the suppressors not hot enough.

?  si, correcto.

>If not then add two or three turns.

?  Psup increases as the square of the turns on Lsupp, so u gotta go
easy.

>In the early 70's I accidentally made a
>set (2) of parasitic suppressers for a PP 4-400A amp out of .050 stainless
>steel aircraft safety wire.

?  Clever.  Safety wire is pretty close to the alloy in Nichrome 60.
Odds are that this change alone decreased the parallel equivalent R of
the suppressor by c. 40%.

cheers, Bob