SV: [AMPS] daf on-air amplifier testing

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] daf on-air amplifier testing
From: sm5ki@algonet.se (sm5ki)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 10:43:50 +0000
Buckshots usually appear the first milliseconds before the ALC in a
transmitter reduces the gain. Have been heard from many transceivers
barefoot in the past and has nothing to do with the linearity of the DAF
linear. So, maybe this was the cause of Norms bad signal not the DAF?

Maybe he had to insert an attenuator beetween the transmitter and exciter to
reduce the effects of his , maybe, variable load? If I remember right a
dummyload was used in later versions at the input of the DAF for the same
reason?

The DAF has been used very much in the past when most hams were very much
technically minded and had to build much of their SSB gear themselfs. They
were much more critical of the quality of their SSB signals then now and
gave honest reports and really cared for a clean signal. Many hams monitored
their signals on instruments and understood was inside their rigs. If the
DAF had been as bad as some of you guys say, it would never become popular,
thats for sure.

I think it is very foolish to consider the DAF to be bad because just one
guy called Norm had a bad signal. We must have a much bigger material to
look at and as we Swedes say: " just one mosquito does not represent the
summer ....." We do not know anything about the circuit Norm used and what
he was doing. Most of us  experiment because we want to find out how things
work. Before we do, we make sometimes mistakes that  are transmitted over
the air. If your DAF mistakes are transmitted more then once and you do not
pull the big switch when getting bad reports, the DAF gets a bad reputation.
Years afterwards in an endless quarrel on a net called amps, hi!

73s de Hans SM5KI