[AMPS] The 3/2 Power Law

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] The 3/2 Power Law
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 10:29:58 -0700

>Reference on Eimac's definition of the 3/2 power law.
>
>Page 97, Care and Feeding of Power Grid Tubes, copyright 1967 by Varian,
>third Printing 1978.

?  You stated

"The 3/2 power law simply states that if you change all of the
interelectrode voltages applied to a power grid tube by a factor of 2,
that the current
will change by a factor of 2.8".

-  -    RE:  "change all of the interelectrode voltages"?   Eimac's
comments are only in regards to fixed screen potential and interpolation
between constant-current curves.  . Fabricating "Eimac" quotes will
assuredly not earn high marks.

>Re: Pulling out of hat.

indeed

>Rich has cited the measurement method used and the results on the received
>end of one transmitted signal.  However, he has never documented the
>equipment used at the transmitting station.

? The equipment used at the transmitting station was never a
consideration.  Measurement of transmitted distortion was the whole
ballgame.
-  Ham radio distortion measurement:  Once upon a time, on 75m SSB, when
Challenger fell into the Atlantic, I happened across NBC's science
advisor, K6DUE, Roy Neal, and another chap.  Roy was driving a solid
state amp - that was designed for 50w drive - with a 100w exciter, and
generating bad news splatter.  .  I broke in and asked Roy if he was
interested in a distortion measurement.  He said yes and I gave it.  .
Then the other guy comes to Roy's defense and tells him that his signal
absolutely vanishes when he tunes away 500Hz.    .

>From earlier statements, I am
>advised that it was Norm, W6EDD at the transmitting end.  One published
>circuit from Norm is a G2DAF variation.

?  I would like to see this circuit.  Who "advised" you.

>That circuit has a substantial flaw
>and would have to splatter.

?  Any grid-driven amplifier that runs substantial grid-current generates
substantial distortion.

>Publication of this circuit would indicate that
>Norm did not understand the G2DAF circuitry and did not understand linear
>amplifiers in general.  That circuit would have to distort.

but of course.

> Perhaps Norm
>tried the genuine G2DAF circuitry, but his carelessness in publishing

?  where is Norm's circuit published.  thanks.

> a defective circuit - which was claimed to be clean - would cast doubt about
>any of his work.

?  Hardly.  Most people know that Norm eventually came up with an
amplifier that produced acceptable distortion -- pretty much as clean as
the rest of the amps on the Combat Zone.  Arriving there required no
grid-current and c. 350v of fixed screen potential

>  So, reception of his signal using his unspecified and
>undocumented equipment under his unknown operating conditions is what I call
>"pulling the numbers out of a hat".  Arriving at  inflexible conclusions
>based upon this sort of test and documentation is unscientific.

?  From experience, I know that the only distortion test that is valid is
unannounced, on the air and minimally scientific.  .  It is well know
that well planned Scientific (two-tone) distortion tests tend to produce
pretty good results.

cheers, Colin