[AMPS] 8877 amp failure

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 8877 amp failure
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 15:59:24 -0600
> The original problem was that the HV took a short cut thru the side of a
> Millen HV connector to the chassis.  My B+ surge resistor did it's job but
> lost it's life in the process.  Apparently, this is when the zener went also.

There are two types of Millen HV connector users when dealing with < 2500v.
Those who have had a big bang, and those who will do so soon.

I use them all the time here with voltages < 6000 by taking two precautions:

1. Never use the yellow ones..they are not made of the same stuff as the
    black or red ones.

2. Cut the middle hole over-sized; 1/16 inch less diameter than the width
     of the chassis connector. Fabricate a sheet of teflon or plexiglass with
     three holes in it to match the connector and install between the connector
     and the chassis.

Works good, lasts a long time!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC