[AMPS] survey partially says...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] survey partially says...
From: nospam4me@juno.com (skip s isaham)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 22:44:41 -0800
Tongue in cheek guys...   delete it if you don't want to laugh a little.

Partial Amp survey answers:

:Current Products

:1. What are your biggest complaints with the linear amplifiers currently
on
:the market?

The price and the promises.

:Mechanical
:3.  ... what are your pet peeves?

LCD and LED displays ... Difficult rewires to 220 volt operation.
Neutralized grounded grid amplifiers.  Excessive filament voltage.

6. Is cooling noise an issue?

Yes sir! , spend that extra $1 for a good quality blower silicone
rubber mounting gasket. (wasn't an issue when I was younger)

:8. Which amplifier in history seemed to have it all together? function,
:finish, size, control placement, quality, feel, esthetic, performance,
etc.?

Heathkit (rip) SB-220    best bang for the buck in kit form.  Hands
down...

:Electrical
:3. Do you prefer full manual control, or microprocessor controlled
:amplifiers?

Manual...   of course nothing ever goes wrong with microprocessors...

:4. Is "step-start" an important feature?

Yes, if your using electrolytic filters and 49 cent AC wall outlets
imported from china...

:5. Should provisions for the adjustment of filament voltage be included
in
:new designs?

If the Engineers didn't do their homework properly... yes    At least
let us measure it if we don't trust what we read.

:6. Should provisions for the adjustment of idling plate current be
included
:in new designs?

Depends on the tube compliment.   The bigger they are, the more you
need to tighten up on the reigns.

:8. How much HV plate supply filter capacitance is "about right"?

When home brewing...
What ever size and quality you bought from Digi Key before
your credit card maxed out.

:Performance
:1. How much output power should a "legal limit" linear amplifier be
:"capable" of producing?

Legal limit plus 1dB for some headroom.

2. Duty cycle?

About 20-30%   Something in the circuit that will quickly fail
with the actuation of  any transceiver voice compression circuit.

:4. How much IMD is acceptable?

For a Net Control..?    ... doesn't matter of course.

5. How do you define "performance" in terms of a linear amplifier?

"Working the weak stations, even when you can't hear them..."
(triple H net)

:Features
:1. What are some of the features you would like to see on future linear
:amplifiers?

Pay per view...
Seriously... a simple ps circuit option to recondition the power
supply caps after long term storage. I'm working on a circuit for
that now.

:Cost
:1. What is a reasonable price range for your "dream amplifier"?

Something the wife wont divorce me for buying...
Depends on the tube(s), any fair price would be realistic.
"Read my lips,  I said fair priced."

La vita a bella
ciao
skipp