R: SV: SV: [AMPS] Final..

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: R: SV: SV: [AMPS] Final..
From: Maurizio Panicara" <i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:17:28 +0100
Once I've seen a grid driven amplifier in which a ferrite broadband
transformer 50/200 ohm was used, probably to develop a bigger voltage across
grid without increasing the driving power. The 200 ohm port, that one going
to the grid, was also terminated in a 200 ohm non inductive resistor but its
size wasn't sure good to dissipate large power and was probably there to
establish a load impedance, and nothing else.
Personally I find quite useless to develop grid driven PAs if then a good
linearity is only achieved lowering the gain to values typical of other, but
much sympler, configurations (when tubes allows).
Also dissipating the unnecessary driving power in a load before amplifying
makes me thinking if the shortest line between two points is still a stright
one.

73,
Mauri I4JMY