[AMPS] input Q upgrade

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] input Q upgrade
From: nospam4me@juno.com (nospam4me@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:30:50 -0800
Hi Charlie,

Glad to see you going with the g-grid circuit. You'll find the 4-400
amplifier
slightly harder to drive vs the similar 3-400/3-500Z.

I have most of the input circuits for the common tubes, the trouble is
the
paperwork was done before solid state final exciters. The lower Q of the
older designs plays havoc with some exciters. I've seen a real
interesting
oscillator made from an early SS exciter final where one wasn't wanted.

I'm in process of rebuilding my personal SB-220 with all the current
fix's,
during last nights late night tune up into a termination, I measured the
factory SB-220 swr using my TS-940.  The best obtained was about 1.6 to
1 sweeping the entire 80/40/20 meter bands. Although my 940 seems to
drive it fine, "your results may vary."

I hoped to avoid rebuilding the input for a higher Q, but it looks like
it
should be a "must include" for a new project.

Rich mentions the SB-220 input factory Q about 1.6 and suggests more.
I agree with that opinion.  His web site probably has the information
you need.  I can scan the 4-400 inputs I have (better than nothing) here
for the sonic server, but it'll have to wait until next week.  I'm in the

middle of another server upgrade process.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.