[AMPS] Caps on Dentron ML-2500

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Caps on Dentron ML-2500
From: zellmer@raccoon.com (Jim Zellmer)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 21:10:54 -0600
I have am going thru the process of reforming the PS caps in a ML-2500 amp.
I am using a Eico 950B resistance capacitance comparator bridge for a
variable PS and am measuring the ma by monitoring the voltage across a 20K
resistor in series with the cap.  The general technique is to rise the
supply voltage until I see about 1 ma of current (20 volts across the 20K
resistor. .  I let the voltage set until the indicated current quits
dropping and then rise the voltage until I see about 1 ma of current again
and then repeat the cycle.

This schematic on this amp shows 6 FP electrolytics 150 mf a @450 Vdc.  The
amp has 3 spragues that match the skematic and 3 CD caps that are mutli
section that are hooked in parallel.  So far I have reformed the 3 spragues
which had a leakage of about .5 ma at 450 Vdc.  I will have to see how the
CDs look.

This subject has be covered before, but what is a good leakage limit guide
line for reuse or replace in this application and if replacement is
warranted, what is a good source for replacement caps?

The amp uses a 100K ohm carbon comp resistor across each cap.  I plan to
replace these  3 watt MOF resistors.

73,

Jim Zellmer, KA0VSL