[AMPS] Irep ofPower Supply Diodes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Irep ofPower Supply Diodes
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil T. (VA3UX))
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 11:14:42 -0500
At 07:50 AM 2/3/2000 -0700, you wrote:

>>That's the half cycle (8.3 ms), non-repetitive rating Peter.  Max
>>continuous rating is 3 amps at some max operating temp.
>
>As I understand it, a rating of say 8.3mS indicates the period of the
>allowable repetitive peak.

No.  8.3ms is the time of one-half cycle of a complete cycle @ 60Hz. One
full cycle is 16.67ms.  The surge rating of 200 amps (in this case) is only
valid for this half cycle.  In other words, the diode is only "guaranteed"
to take it once. So 8.3ms is the period of the one-time forward surge. This
normally noted as "I fm" or "Surge" on the data sheets. It isn't
"guaranteed" to take it for a full cycle, or in any repetition of
succeeding cycles.

The diode is designed (supposedly) to take the 3 amp rated current
REPetitively, for succeeding cycles at infinitum. Hence the "Irep" rating
of 3 amps.

Phil