[AMPS] Re: Adios

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Adios
From: watson@epiloglaser.com (George K. Watson)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:54:33 -0700
Bandwidth is a technical term relating to the function of an electrical
circuit, such as a tuned circuit or filter (fo/2Q), or the band occupied by
a modulated signal.

Are you implying that words are given unto us from the ether, assume a single
meaning in
a single idiom for eternity, and never pass from the earth? Language as
religion! How curious.

See the various ITU definitions. The use of this term
with a different meaning by computer freaks, bit boys and similar ill
educated persons

The implication that 'computer freaks' are ill educated shows a peculiar
blindness.
Some of the best educated people I know are bit boys and girls.

does not alter the fact that it is a misuse of language,

Horsefeathers. (American, vernacular, archaic)
That's wac. (American, Ebonic)

and especially on a  reflector dedicated to RF matters

This reflector, while (occasionally) discussing RF matters, seems somewhat
broader in topic.
The communication in this case also takes place on a medium which has its own
idiom. It is
inevitable that the twain shall meet, I suggest you check the context of the
usage to derive the
meaning.

way of compounding misunderstanding by the incorrect use of technical
English.

It takes two to misunderstand. A transmitter or a receiver can be at fault.

73 (decimal number? originated in telegraphy? borrowed by 'radio heads'!
incorrect usage?)

K0IW
George K. Watson
Radio Head
Bit Boy (And gettin' paid in the worst way, true.)