[AMPS] SB-220 repair question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 repair question
From: ndavis@vt.edu (Nat Davis)
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 19:19:52 -0500
I have been upgrading my station and am now using a small  TH-2 2-element
beam on a 35' tower (house lot size won't let me get a much bigger tower).

I have an opportunity to purchase an SB-220 amp from a local club station
(it would be my first amp).  It is in fair to good condition to look at but
it definitely shows that it has been used.  No modifications appear to have
ever been done on the amp.  It also needs some repairs:  the output band
switch wafer has been arced pretty badly -- to the point that I would not
try to use the amp before repairs (even though 10m is the only band where
it truly does not seem  to work).  I am told it could use a new set of
3-500s, too (low power out with current ones).    I have read the web pages
and modification suggestions by Rich Measures and A. Harbach.  I would add
some of the "popular" mods while I am at it -- parasitic suppression as a
"must" due to the arcing.

Any suggestions on replacing the switch wafer?  Looks like I would need to
remove surrounding components just to get to it.  A bit of a pain!  Other
suggestions?

What would be a reasonable price to offer for the amp as a "fixer upper?"
I see that eBay trades "mint" 220's in the neighborhood of $500-700.

Given my antenna system, do you think I would be better served with a
better beam v. the amp and its repairs?

Thanks,

Nat
N4EL