SV: [AMPS] RE: ALC

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS] RE: ALC
From: sm5ki@algonet.se (sm5ki)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 10:39:58 +0000
Hej Verner:

Some days ago I raised the same questions on the amps: what happens with the
relation peak SSB pep level to phase noise and spuriouses when you lower the
power output in a modern transceiver to suit the drive power needed for  a
linear on VHF/UHF? Where you have high gain beams and more sensitive
receivers than on short wave. As you know, you can in an IC706 or IC 746 do
this in the menu. The 746 has a good relative quite synthesizer and few
spurioses ( not better than the very old ICOM IC 202 that used a vxo, I
guess).

A warning: the IC 706 has a relative noisy synthesizer and garbage and noise
is heard on both sides of a signal when using the PS35 switched power
supply. In a OH0 contest station they run their IC 746 on batteries in two
meter contests to avoid  garbage and noise from their power supply.

I often asked myself how much noise sidebands are generated in the output
transistors of a rig? Looking through test reports, I have a feeling that
figures of synthesizer noise are better in the receiver than transmitter.
Using VMOS fets should then give less noise, no?

What about high frequency getting into the diodes of an amp power supply? I
remember seeing reports of noise coming from hf modulating linears. Maybe it
is therefore caps are still used across the high voltage diodes in high
voltage supplies to shorten out hf? For the same raeson the HEATH SB 1000
maybe used a rfc choke in series with the diodes?

I am a buyer of these ancient IC 202 or 402 from around 1973??

Paa gensyn de Hans SM5KI